Wednesday, December 16, 2015

My Second Ministry

In my second ministry, I served as Assistant Minister to my father at Sea Point Congregational Church, for just over a year. This gave me much experience, and brought me to the attention of the wider Church. My ministry here was characterised by three things in particular: we (modestly) modernised the worship, we raised up a youth section (mostly around music), and I was assigned the mission of re-activating inactive members and adherents. Ten years later, this Church called me back. OBSERVATION: While it was a positive experience, I didn't seem to find my place. Looking back, the modernisation of the worship stuck, and continues to this day -- however the youth section, as good as it was, was a flash in the pan. As for re-activating inactive members, this was ineffective. Churches know it now, but they didn't know it then. Generally speaking, I would be more evangelistic now. At this early stage of ministry, I first experienced the strain that so many ministers do, yet I wasn't sure what it really was. A member lent me a Morris Minor during this time (pictured) -- that was fun.

No comments: