Thursday, September 6, 2018

Unknown Meeting

When I was a minister in training (called a "probationer" in my denomination)! the Church Secretary, Nora Sulston, was the widow of a minister. She is the woman with blue spectacles at the back of this photo. She was "worth her weight in gold", and I loved her all the days that she lived. However, she was unflinching in her criticism of me. So unflinching that I felt I might never get called or posted, let alone see out my probation. But when a minister died -- the Rev. Ron Aston -- she wasted no time in setting up a confidential meeting with his Church Secretary, Pat Titterington, to recommend me for the ministry of that Church (the Church in this morning's post). That Church, in turn, wasted no time in calling me. I first learnt of that meeting more than thirty years later.

No comments: