Friday, November 30, 2018

Dialling Me For My Number

There are stories that only South Africans could tell. I asked First National Bank this week to open an account. An agent dialled my number, and asked me for ... my number. I said I didn't have the number in my head, but it was on the phone they just dialled. They insisted. I said I'd have to terminate the call and call them back with it -- if they weren't lost in a crowd. Sorry, they said, this wasn't going to work. I received a call from another agent. I had to understand that FNB's computers did not permit an agent to continue if I didn't answer every question exactly. It was the computer that had stopped the process. I promised them I'd write down my number, and recite it when they called again. OBSERVATION: All's well that ends well. Probably an internal verification process -- a strange one!

No comments: