Monday, February 11, 2019

Corrupt Practice

Today I filed a legal request -- to see a complaint that I myself reportedly filed with a government agency. Why ask for my own complaint? Here is what I believe to be a widespread practice in South Africa: one contacts an agency about an offence (as I did), but lays no formal complaint. It happens to be a serious matter -- so they pounce (which is not the usual). But now they reply to a non-existent complaint -- into which they weave a few familiar facts. Then they announce that they have thoroughly investigated one's complaint, and have closed the file with no recourse to appeal. Here is what I do then. I file a legal request to see my own complaint. There are only two possibilities: they refuse to show me my own complaint, or they show me a bogus document. One takes it from there.

No comments: