Monday, December 5, 2022

Reveal It or Not?

Many years ago now, I conducted a service for someone who committed suicide. I thought it would help the congregation to know what had happened, and why -- and many were appreciative, afterwards, of what I said. But in the service, someone stood up to disagree with me about what had come to pass. What he didn't know -- I think nobody knew -- was that I had spoken with the deceased at length about suicide. I decided in that moment to let it be. OBSERVATION: "What the minister knows" is in fact a larger problem that I have discussed elsewhere on this blog. The tension comes in when he or she needs to decide: do I reveal this, or not? Take a classic example: someone is nominated for Church office, but the minister counselled him for domestic violence. Does the minister reveal it?

No comments: