Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Spread Of Ages

Over on Facebook, someone put up a reference I wrote 26 years ago, with this comment:
"When this letter was written the average age of a member at St Davids was probably 35. Today the average age is about 85. Luckily modern hearing aids use frequency hopping technology or they would all cancel each other out on Sunday morning at the church ..."
It's an exaggeration, written humorously. However, during my two major ministries, the average age dropped a good deal -- without the loss of older members -- then rose again after my going. OBSERVATION: I have said that the secret to a healthy spread of ages is "ministry by members" -- as best I can discern it. This spread includes older people. They are vital to the Church. The aim is not to bring the average age down at their expense.

No comments: