Sunday, November 17, 2019

Fourteen Failed Proposals

A Church needs office-bearers. It needs an Honorary Secretary, an Honorary Treasurer, and so on. I just found some notes of one particular year. We needed a new Property Steward, as our properties were "way out of hand". I proposed seven candidates for the position. One by one, our deacons turned down all seven. At our next meeting, I suggested another seven. One by one, our deacons turned down another seven. Afterwards the minutes recorded: "Consensus not reached." Yet all eyes were on me! I joked that we had one more possibility: prayer! OBSERVATION: In a Congregational Church, however, one needs to beware of assuming that it is one's own (the minister's) responsibility to find solutions.The Body rules, and one can and should turn to the Body for wisdom and help.

No comments: